Pages

Monday, April 24, 2017

Revisited: Triumph, Tribulation, and the Bags I Bought

From the window of a room at Radisson Blu, Paris; un-boxing my birthday gift to myself.
It has been seven years since I started collecting bags.  It is still not about luxury, for luxury's sake. There is always a reason behind every purchase. Since 2013, I'm quite successful in my intent of limiting my purchase to one bag a year only, and taper it down to a budget that is respectful of hard-earned money.  I don't really need a lot of bags, after all.  I tend to buy a bag that will age well, so I can use it for a long time. 


To this day, I'm still using the very first branded bag I bought in 2010 at LV Greenbelt in Makati.  It was no other than the iconic LV Speedy 30 Damier Ebene.  I was giddy as a teenager.  I thought about this purchase for a month.  I was not getting enough sleep for a week, spending late nights browsing LV's online catalog.  I couldn't even wait for my next trip to HK.  I gotta have it one Friday night.  I left my car in the parking office and hailed a cab, in order to get to the LV store before they closed for the night.  I was delivering a big project with success, and getting by after making a tough decision to finally leave something behind.  I was thinking, "I'm all grown up now.  I deserved a 'grown up' bag."
Speedy 30 Damier Ebene.
Photo grabbed from the official Louis Vuitton website.
Two months later, I found myself wandering along the busy streets of Canton Road in HK.  The Prada flagship store was so attractive to my eyes more than ever.  A week before that trip, I sent an email to a Prada store to request for a quotation for a Tessuto bag with leather bow. The bigger the change a project would bring, the bigger the adversary.  I was simply glad that work was flowing as expected.  I rewarded myself with a Prada bag that night in HK. I also bought my first Longchamp Pliage with matching pouch during that trip.  

Since I bought 3 bags within 2 months, I went on a self-imposed bag ban for 10 months. Then another big project at work was completed, and the Marc by Marc Jacobs Baby Groovee became the latest addition to my closet.  As new projects started to roll to production, time for a short break again in HK.  I got another bag - a Gucci coated canvas tote.  

Seize the happy, single life! In 2012, I traveled to EU.  It was mandatory for me to visit the LV store at Champs Elysee in Paris.  My birthday gift to myself - a Speedy 35 Bandouliere and a large Longchamp Eiffel Tower bag (very useful for travel).  


LV Speedy Bandouliere 35.  Photo taken at Versailles.
Beginning 2013, it was one bag a year (most years).  Every purchase was backed by a story of celebration for overcoming difficult scenarios.  I usually timed my purchase while on vacation, so acquiring a new bag becomes a more rewarding experience.   Here are some of the pieces that added sweetness to my travels.  


BAG-abond.  Travelling with my Lonchamp Pliage and Metallic Black Tote from Ronald Reagan International Airport Washington DC to JFK in NY.
LV Neverfull MM. Photo grabbed from the official Louis Vuitton website
LV Kimono. Photo grabbed from the official Louis Vuitton website
Disney World is not the only happiest place in Orlando, Florida.  A couple of miles from Disney Downtown is the Orlando Vineland Premium Outlet - and they have a Prada boutique there with great selections.    
 --------------

Part 1 of this article is still posted in my old blog Meowth Moments - Triumph, Tribulation, and the Bags I Bought.


No comments:

Post a Comment