Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Running for Keeps


Recently, I've been receiving advice from family and friends in the medical profession.  They're trying to talk me out of an impending full marathon (FM) training.  

Training for an FM could be more challenging now, as I've been wanting to see some significant improvement with the way I run - and how far and fast I could run.  I was logging longer mileage and faster pace in 2011 - something which I wasn't able to do in 2012.  Should I pursue an FM training plan today, the gamble is in its unpredictable impact to my endocrine system (that system responsible for hormones).  In the past, I didn't bother about delivering my first baby at mid-30s...Now, I need to slow down, get fresh perspective, and enjoy life all the more.  Science is convincing, and so are those people around me who are truly concerned.  I've made a deliberate decision to cut back on training as I open myself up to living a healthier lifestyle. 

Lower mileage and almost zero badminton in the last 7 months - a scenario that allowed for unwanted pounds to inch their way into my system.  I couldn't dwell on frustration. I keep telling myself that I have every reason to stay fit - one of which is to prepare my body and mind to juggle responsibilities of being a homemaker, career woman, and life partner to BFD. There's also this exciting possibility...hopefully, in God's perfect plan (ah, next year?) - I could be running for two.

BFD and I still manage to run together, about 2 - 3 times a week. Running is already a staple in our relationship. Thus, running for keeps. 

I couldn't help but reminisce how our friendship developed through blogging and running...


Runners/bloggers exchanging thoughts...nothing else =)

August 2012.  Our first road race as a couple - 32KM - The Afroman Distance.
It was raining all throughout the course.  We called it 'blessing'.

October 2012 - Our first full marathon as a couple. Lack of training and injury did not stop me from reaching the finish line. Bothered by sprain in my left ankle, BFD wanted me to stop at KM34.  I told him that I could tolerate the pain, and we should enjoy the rest of the course as if it was a Sunday morning date - a walk in the park, literally.

November 2012 - BFD said it would be like this soon. I might need to take a break from running, in order to train for a very special finish line known as, delivery date.

January 2013 - Friends expected a prenuptial photo shoot at MOA or BGC - running gear, running shoes, lotsa' running...but we tried to depict a turn-of-the-century (circa 1900) tableu of a free-spirited couple, running in spring time bliss (though we don't have 'spring season' in 'Pinas). 


No comments:

Post a Comment