Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Shoe Review: Saucony Type A5


I want to run, jog, or at least brisk walk until old age. I've always been keen about keeping injuries at bay. Experience taught me the importance of wearing a pair of shoes that is most suited for my feet. My happy feet are classified as neutral with a mild tendency to overpronate. 

I was skeptical about minimalist racing shoes since I started running.  I thought of it as that type which could injure my feet, and that it was designed for elite athletes only.  I'm referring to those (mostly) bright-colored, thin-soled shoes donned by elite runners in last year's London Olympics. Impression. 
Oh, but I drooled over those shoes....they are so cool!  I couldn't help but think about buying a pair every time I pass by any specialty shops. Tempting.  I wonder what 'magic' they bring.  Until the thought became frequent...I finally gave in and bought my first pair.  It was love at first sight.

Amazing beauty! Performance doesn't mean boring.  =)

I got tired of reading so many shoe articles - theory overdose, but no action.   Armed with basic knowledge of minimalist shoes, I let my senses guide me in the selection process.  After two trips to the shoes section, my feet found its solemate - Saucony Type A5. It's super light weight, thin-soled.  Surprisingly, it provides the right amount of cushioning to protect my feet from harsh elements.  After 40KM of running in A5, I can now share without apprehension, that I finally found the perfect pair of racing flats to go with my restless but happy feet. =)



Saucony's FlexiFilm overlays, which effectively reduced weight in the upper portion (based on manufacturer's specifications).


The soles allow my feet to breathe.  The design is also suited for running in the rain; it offers good traction for wet roads - whether cement or asphalt.  The soles act as drainage, my feet don't get soaked. 
I can run...rain or shine! =)



Shoe width is neither wide nor narrow.  I don't have to worry about discomfort attributed to a wide or narrow toe box.  (I go for width 'B' - American shoe size chart).  

Manufacturer's Specifications

Weight: 5.2oz / 148grams; Color: White / Purple / Black / Blue

Description: Saucony's lightest racing flats; designed for running and triathlon.  FlexiFilm overlays help reduce weight in the upper portion.

Other color options for women:

How would I rate this pair of shoes?

Overall Rating: 4.5 / 5

Performance: 5.0 - I've been trying to re-introduce speed to my maintenance runs.  A5 seems to help in a way that my feet don't need to deal with excess weight (other than my body weight, of course).  A5 doesn't hurt my feet.  It acts like a guide for my feet to achieve (almost, almost!) consistent landing - mid foot strike.  

Style: 4.5 - It's the coolest pair in my shoe cabinet. 

Durability: 4.0 - Right now, it's a 4.0 - still has some things to prove in terms of durability.  The pair has to measure up with those shoes that I used in my first three full marathons. 

Why I run

Running is an effective stress-buster. It's fun, healthy, and it feels even better when I'm able to stretch the time to cover a longer distance.  I have a colorful history of competing in badminton, but not in running where I only have one competitor - myself.  =)




 -----------------

Disclaimer:  I do not work for Saucony, or any of its PR outfit or subcontractors.  The article presented here is a personal write up.  This is not a paid advertisement. 

-----------------

You might also be interested in these articles:

Running for Keeps -- 101% sugar & spice, a case of running for love and in-love while running :)

My Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore Anniversary  -- from my old blog

Minsan lamang ako mag-full marathon -- from my old blog


No comments:

Post a Comment