Pages

Friday, February 27, 2015

[Re-post from my old blog] Paris Part I: Kuting in Paris - Lost in Translation



As I not-so-quietly struggle being put on bed rest for days, I'm still thankful that I can read as many books as I can.  A book that I bought from Versailles (ver-sigh) was good enough to send me down memory lane.  It was about three years ago, when my appetite for adventure and misadventure is as heavy as my love for sports, that I explored one of my dream travel destinations.  I was by myself for almost three days, with -10 (just an arbitrary value) knowledge of spoken French.  

It's about time to update and move my original articles from my old blog to here. - Meowthlovescoffee

=======================================

It was my first time to attend a multicultural class outside my home continent (Asia).  It was not part of my itinerary, but since it was raining during my second day in Paris, I just wanted to stay indoors, but not in a museum.  So, I decided to sign up for a wine class! 
For the love of wine!  
Cashmer left early for her first of many business meetings, as in, many. I had to muster all the courage to walk the ‘cold and unfamiliar’ streets of Paris by myself; just relying on – my memory of the map, limited French language, and a trained internal compass (the one that screams in the head – I’m lost!). 

Paris is not as crime-free as Singapore.  Paris has its share of a few bad elements in the streets.  I had a hunch that most of these elements have medium-to-heavy built; it would be difficult to use against them the skills I got from the Karate Kid, Kung Fu Panda, and Elorde – even if I combined the techniques from these legends.  If I had to carry a map around the city and made it obvious, it was comparable to carrying an imaginary signboard, screaming: PREY.  Tsk, tsk, tsk.
GPS mobile applications were not mainstream back in 2012.
So, there, I had to study the map before I could go out.
I had to wear four layers of clothing – thermal undershirt, thermal stockings, thick denim dress, wool cardigans, trench coat, scarf around my neck, and semi high-cut boots.  Imagine – Kuting (Kitten) in Paris.  I don't really thrive in cold climate.  I needed more calories to keep my temperature warm.  No human blanket available, so I just  enjoyed a hearty brunch at the Radisson Blu.  The French won't surely like it when I'm hungry. (Thanks, Hulk.) 
The best-tasting breads are served in France.
Breakfast - bread basket via room service - Radisson Blu Ambassador Hotel
It was a gloomy day when I stepped out of the hotel at 12 noon.  The weather forecast was pretty accurate, with temperature at 8*C, drizzle, occasional winds that sent shiver to the bones.  I walked to the nearest Metro station, my hands in akimbo, and I was trying to act normal, I mean, unfriendly.  

Metro + Walking :  The Metro station is called Richelieu Drouot (Chartreuse colored line – light/soft lime green), my ‘home station’ for several days.  (Good thing, I bought a 3-day Metro ticket the other day at Champs Elysee.  Minor train stations do not always have days-worth of tickets to sell.)  4 stations from Richelieu Drouot is the Franklin D. Roosevelt station.  From Roosevelt, I transferred to the yellow line going to Louvre de Rivoli.  
Richelieu Drouot is a relatively quiet Metro station along Blvd. Haussmann.
It is a few steps from Radisson Blu Ambassador Hotel.
When I reached Rivoli, a brasserie caught my attention.  I walked in to try some authentic French cuisine, plus a bottle of Badoit (I got addicted to this sparkling water – it’s like Sprite minus the sugar). 

From Louvre, it would take about 15min-walk to O'Chateau, located along Rue Jean Jacques Rousseau. For me, it was longer. Either French people are not so inclined in giving directions, or they don’t speak English at all. 

Scenario 1
Me:  Excuse me, Madame.  Bonjour! (Bon – shouwr :  Good day)  Do you know which way to…
Lady:  (cutting my sentence) Non Anglais…(meaning: no English)

Scenario 2
Me:  Bonjour!  Do you know which way to O'Chateau, Rue Jean Jacques Rousseau?
Guy:  C’est dix minutes a pyay…
Me:  Pardon. Je ne comprends pas (Zher ner kom pron pa).  Parlez vous Anglais?  (Par-lay voo ong-glay).  (Translation:  Sorry. I don’t understand. Do you speak English?)
Guy:  Pardon.

Scenario 3
Me:  Bonjour! Excusez-moi (eks-kyu-zay-mwa = excuse me).  Do you know which way to O'Chateau, Rue Jean Jacques Rousseau?
Guy:  It’s near.  You just walk to the left (signaling to the right)…
Me:  Oh, so you, mean, left (using my hand to signal to the left)…
Guy:  Sorry…Yeah, it’s to the left..then…ah first, no, second street, turn left…you won’t miss it.
Me:  Merci!  (Thanks)
Guess what?  I followed his instructions and I got lost…I was trying to find my way to O'Chateau in the next 15 minutes.  The street signage were not so helpful, but I knew it is somewhere within that area…I sent a distress signal to Heaven:  Lord, please send me angels…sigh, sigh…The street was empty, and I was getting nervous, but I continued walking that led me to the next scenario…

Scenario 4
Guy:  Miss, Filipino ka? (Are you Filipino?)
Me:  Oo, Filipino nga ako. Nawawala ata ako.  (Yes, I’m Filipina. I think I’m lost.)
Lady 1:  San ka ba pupunta? (Where are you going?)
I showed them the address.
Lady 2:  Sa kabila lang ito.  (Next street from here).
Guy:  Tawid tayo. Tapos, unang kanto kaliwa, kita na O'Chateau.  (Let’s cross the street.  Then, first street turn left, you'll see O Chateau). 
Me:  Thank you.  It was an answered prayer.  I was starting to get scared already, then you people saw me.  Hay… 

I was at O'Chateau 15 minutes before the class started. I was the only Filipino / Southeast Asian enrolled in the class for that day.  Most of my classmates came in late because they also got lost.  It was an informative and enjoyable class that warrants another blog entry.  
"Hi! I'm Ann from Manila.  I like alcohol in general.  I'm good friends with Johnnie Walker, Jack Daniels, and Jose Cuervo.  Today, I'm learning about wine." 

No comments:

Post a Comment