Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

[Re-post from my old blog] Schengen Visa Application for Pinoy Tourists


As I'm still setting up a new home (sweet home) for my blog here in Blogspot, I'm going to repost my top articles - those I published back in 2012 through my Wordpress blog.

Here's my top article last year, which I think is being used as reference by blog readers in 70+ countries.  This one earns web hits almost everyday from the day I published it, 11 April 2012. I'm hoping this article will still be able to serve its purpose of giving Pinoy tourists an idea on how to obtain a Schengen Visa from the French Embassy in Manila. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schengen Visa Application for Pinoy Tourist
Intial Online Posting Date:  April 11, 2012
Author:  Ann S.  (meowthmoments.wordpress.com)
Content revisions:  Updated web links

Traveling or even the prospect of travel could cost you some good nights' worth of sleep; especially when it is about traveling to a territory, which requires you to obtain a visa prior to a formal entry.  If you are Pinoy traveler with a Philippine-issued passport, then you're in for a lot of pre-travel 'adventures' just working on the VISA alone.

I applied for several VISA in the past, and fortunately, those applications didn't get rejected.  Each application process required effort.  I just feel inclined to share with you, the step-by-step process in applying for a Schengen Visa. This Visa is valid  in 25 territories, covered by the Schengen Agreement: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. 

1. When to apply - at least 90 days before your planned entry to a Schengen territory.

2. Where to file - for multiple destinations, file your visa application to the Consulate of your main destination, or where length of stay is the longest. If length of stay per destination is almost equal, then file application to the Consulate of the first country in your itinerary.

3. Set an appointment with the Consulate / Embassy. Be ready with the following info:  applicants name, email address and contact number, purpose of travel, preferred travel dates and length of stay, and preferred schedule of interview.

I applied through the French Embassy.  I made an appointment through their visa hotline.


Starting April 10, 2012, applicants may reach the Embassy through its call center hotlines: for PLDT/Smart/Touchcard Subscribers 1 (909) 101- 3333;  for Globe/Innove/Touchmobile Subscribers 1 (900) 101 - 3333; and for Bayantel Subscribers 1 (903) 101- 3333. Calls are accepted Mondays through Saturdays, from 8AM - 6PM. Call charge is Php32.00 per minute, excluding VAT and applicable NDD charges for calls made outside Metro Manila. These hotlines are intended for calls made within the Philippines.

The French Embassy conducts interview for Visa applicants, Monday - Friday, 8AM -12NN.

4.  Prepare your application form and supporting documents.  Please do take note of the turn-around time when requesting for certain documents. Here is the list of required documents:

Application form - You need to fill this up: for short-stay VISA (30-90 days) http://www.ambafrance-ph.org/IMG/pdf/Formulaire_SCH_eng.pdf; for long-stay visa (over 90 days) http://www.ambafrance-ph.org/IMG/pdf/Formulaire_LS_eng.pdf

Attach (paste) a 45mm x 35mm ID picture / white background / no face cover /   no headgear / no eyeglasses / no frowning / 'Mona Lisa' smile only. Clip (paper clip) another copy of your ID photo to the application form.

*  Cover letter explaining the purpose of travel and itinerary.

*  Itinerary and flight reservation - you do not have to buy tickets yet, just contact a travel agent who can provide you with a travel voucher free of charge.  You may also try http://www.klm.com for free reservation - they could hold the ticket for you for a certain number of days.  Hotel voucher - you may book through http://www.agoda.com, where a good number of hotels allow free cancellation; and if you're an HSBC card holder, that's less 5% for every booking made via HSBC website - click travel promos, and then follow the link to Agoda website.

*  Travel insurance - a minimum insurance of EURO 30,000, cashless settlement, with toll-free hotline, coverage valid in 25 Schengen territories. For a list of Schengen-accredited insurance providers, you may follow this link - http://www.ambafrance-ph.org/IMG/doc/Assurances_contacts_site_internet-2.doc


You may also apply online.  I applied through http://www.bluecross.com.ph.  A Schengen package is about Php 2,500.00.  If you plan to buy a policy from BPI MS, a coverage will cost you around Php 4,000.00.

*  Financial documents / proof of income - (1) latest bank certification, (2) bank account statement indicating transactions/balance in the last three months - You have to request for these documents preferably from your branch of account. The bank will require you to fill up and sign a request form, and you have to indicate hat the certificate is for your Schengen Visa application.  At BPI, they could release the certification in an hour or less - for accounts, which you opened online (example: BPI Direct and BPI Trade - the lead time is about 3 - 5 banking days. You may also include your Mutual Fund / Equity Fund Statements, if available.  (3) latest Income Tax Return (ITR).

* Proof of employment - (1) Certificate of Employment, indicating tenure / position title / annual compensation; (2) approved leave of absence (I just photocopied my approved VL, as signed by my boss, using our company VL form); (3) For self-employed, official business registration for current and previous years.

* Proof of Identity - (1) Passport, valid for at least 6 months from the planned date of entry; (2) photocopy of the first page of passport,  all travel visas obtained; (3) NSO-authenticated birth certificate -  a hassle-free request may be facilitated online http://nso.citizenservices.com.ph lead time is 3 - 4 days;  (4) If married, bring a photocopy of marriage contract.

*  Non-refundable visa application fee, cash basis to be settled in Philippine Peso (PhP) only. 


   Short stay visa (30 - 90 days), EURO 60.00 or about PhP 3,250 at prevailing forex exchange rate;

   Long stay visa (over 90 days), EURO 99.00. 

   Bring smaller bills and coins (P5.00 / P10.00). The French Embassy in Manila accepts exact amount only.

5.  Interview - for applications lodged through the French Embassy, interviews are conducted at their office - 16F Pacific Star Building, Buendia cor. Makati Avenue, Makati City. Please be prompt. If your interview is scheduled at 8AM, Pacific Star's guest registration at Basement 1 opens at 7:50AM. You need to register first with the Admin at Basement 1, before they allow you to go up to the Embassy located at the 16th Floor.

Note: Most of the time, the French Embassy approves/denies application on the spot. For approved applications, the average Visa issuance lead time is 5 working-days. The interviewer will tell you when to claim your Visa. The Embassy may or may not require you to leave your passport while you wait for the Visa.

For other Visa-related matters, you may visit the French Embassy website Visa section: http://www.ambafrance-ph.org/Visas,1261.


I hope you find this informative. Don't get overwhelmed with the requirements.  Go through each step, as if you are in a travel drill of some sort. Patience is a virtue.

In my next blog entry, I intend to write about my experience during the actual interview at the French Embassy. =)


=========

Related posts:

Schengen Visa Interview
Paris Part I : Kuting in Paris - Lost in Translation
Paris Part II : Traveling Tourists



25 comments:

  1. thanks a bunch for your help Anne.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a former visa? Do i need to have that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea. There is no 'former visa'. What the article wishes to convey is that - one has to obtain a visa before formally or legally entering certain territories (case in point, Schengen states). I hope I'm able to help you.
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure if you'll be able to read this but I just need to ask..my trip to uk is on feb01 2014 and today is jan07 2014. I barely have 3weeks to lodge my visa application. Do you think i can still lodge it and get my passport back in time for my trip? Hoping to hear from you. Mynameisaris@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good day, Aris! UK is not part of the Schengen Agreement; thus, it is not covered in this article. You can fast track your UK visa application if you have either a valid (active) US visa or you have visited any Schengen State in the last two years. For more information, I suggest you visit the official website of the British Embassy or contact a reputable travel agent. Thanks for dropping by my page. I hope I'm able to help you. =)

      Delete
  5. I am only 18 years old and my Tita wants me to be there at sweden to be a tourist for 3 months and my problem is I am not working at the moment but I am only managing a Sari sari store but my Tita will shoulder all the finances from the ticket,travel insurance and etc..and my another problem is I don't have yet a bank account..and my question is if I have the chance if the embassy will let me to travel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sweetmama! I have not yet experienced applying for a Schengen Visa other than through the French Embassy. My fair assumption is that you need to request your aunt to obtain an equivalent of the Certificate of Board and Lodging and a copy of her national ID or resident permit. For more information about visa application lodged through the Swedish Embassy, you may visit their official website or you may also opt to contact a reputable travel agent.
      In terms of your chances in obtaining a tourist visa, this almost always depends on your ability to convince the consul that you have sufficient fund (whether personal or sponsored) for the trip and you will return to your home country after the trip. =)

      Delete
  6. Hi Ann! I wanna ask if its possible if i can stay with a french resident during my stay in france and he will be the one who will provide me all the expenses during my stay. what are the requirements for that? thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deyah! You may ask your sponsor to provide you with an Attestation d'Accuceil (Certification of Board and Lodging) and a copy of his national identity card or resident permit. You need to present these documents during your interview at the French Embassy. You may also look this up at the French Embassy's official website. I hope I'm able to answer your question with this piece of info. =)

      Delete
  7. Hi, Ann. I am planning to go to Greece this December but will be coming from Qatar. Where should I apply for Schengen visa? Would it be a factor that I wont be coming from Manila? And would you know if they require a minimum amount in the bank statement?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Panini. I've already replied to your email. I hope I'm able to provide some help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, how much show money i should have for applying a visa? - david

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi David,
    Thanks for dropping by my blog site.
    As for the show money, I cannot give you an exact amount. The idea here is you have to present to the Interviewer/Consul that you have enough money to finance your trip. You may want to list down your projected expenses, like air fare, hotel accommodation, food and transportation allowance. This can help you come up with a reasonable amount for your show money.
    Regards,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, hope you will read mine as well. I am applying for schengen visa for italy. Im 20y/o hoping to graduate this April. Since im unemployed and fresh graduate what should i pass as document? My parents invited me to take a visit and they will shoulder all funds. Or Can you suggest good travel agency here in the PH so that I can easily get visa? Thank you. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,
      Congratulations for finishing school! :)
      I'm no visa expert, but I recommend that you read the visa section of the Italian Embassy. Like any other (Schengen) visa application, you need to present that your parents are legally working or residing in Italy and that they are capable to finance your trip. You may be asked to present your parents' resident or work permit in Italy, bank account statement(s), and a copy of your birth certificate to establish your identity.
      I seldom avail of the services of travel agencies - I got to interact with TravelPros (http://www.travelpros.ph) for some of my past travel projects. Rajah Travel is also known in the travel industry (http://www.rajahtravel.com).
      - Ann -

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing this! Applying for a visa, especially a Schengen visa can be a little daunting, so it would be best to get help from a travel agency. But be sure to prepare your own travel insurance as this is one of the requirements needed when your apply for one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello.

    Where can i get Itinerary – flight reservation? Where did u get yours po? Any suggestion? Please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Espie.

      I booked a flight without payment from KLM back in 2012 - just for my visa application. However, I can no longer find this option in their homepage. I suggest you inquire with a travel agent. They usually hold tickets for about a week.

      Best regards,
      Ann

      Delete
  14. If I ever take the long term visa, and consume my 90 days. Is there any possible way to extend my stay there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Autumn.

      I'm no visa expert. I searched for a reference site for your questions - let's take Netherlands as an example. Here are the conditions for visa extension.

      1. Your stay must not exceed 90 days in total.
      2. You must give satisfactory reasons for wanting to extend your visa, and you must present documents showing that you cannot return to your country of origin before your visa period ends.
      3. You must have enough money to support yourself as long as you remain in the Netherlands; or you must have someone in the Netherlands who can stand surety on your behalf.
      4. You must remain covered by healthcare and/or travel insurance.
      5. Your passport must be valid for at least a further six months and must not have been issued more than ten years ago.
      6. There must be no indications that you have other reasons for extending your visa, such as the intention to settle illegally in the Netherlands.

      (Copy-paste to your web browser)
      http://www.government.nl/issues/visa-for-the-netherlands-and-the-caribbean-parts-of-the-kingdom/short-stay-visas-for-the-netherlands/extending-a-schengen-visa-for-the-netherlands

      Warm regards,
      Ann

      Delete
  15. hi. im angelika from philippines. and i applied last may 25, 2015 for a long stay visa in france embassy here in manila. release on june 01,2015. wen u say release does it mean that its my visa will gonna release? and if yes, do i need to have a medical before entering in france? please answer miss ann if u know. thank u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Margerie.

      Thanks for dropping by my blog site.

      Ideally, they will release your passport together with the visa. However, there are rare cases wherein they just return the passport with no visa attach to it. At the time I was granted a visa, I was not required to undergo a medical exam. If you are planning to stay for a longer period in a foreign land, it is practical to undergo a voluntary medical exam - so you do not have to worry about health conditions while you are out of the country.

      Warm regards,
      Ann

      Delete
  16. Hello..im aimmie..me and my sister planning to be in France on Dec.2-'15.I will shoulder my travel expenses but I will stay in my sister house with her French husband.all okey on my papers..except the leave of absence from my work..boss don't allow the 80 days leave..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Aimmie.
      I hope you are able to obtain permission from your boss. Traveling offers a lot of opportunities for people to learn new things or gain wider perspective, which they can bring with them back to work.
      All the best,
      Ann

      Delete