Pages

Sunday, May 21, 2017

The Beginning: My Leather Care Project, Domesticated Meowth Edition


I try not to count the days before I go on a corporate hiatus.  It has been a deliberate decision in favor of family.  I'm somehow dreading it, having realized how much I love my work and I will surely miss it...but I know my priorities, and there are things that couldn't wait anymore.  

In the past weeks, I've been evaluating some ideas on what to do while I stay home (most of the time) in the coming months.  I simply don't like staying at home most days of the week, and not being a productive member of the society.  Well, it's just me. I need to do something worthwhile, and possibly generate income in the side.  

Early this month, I went to Hong Kong for a quick break.  I was once again surrounded by shoes and bags - lots of it!!! in varying styles and brands!!!  I could go window shopping (I shopped just quite a bit) for almost 10 miles, visiting shops along Canton, Salisbury, and Nathan Road.  It was an excellent cardio exercise, putting in more than 22,000 steps a day without feeling a huge amount of effort.   

During this trip, there was a moment in my mind, I was running an inventory of bags and shoes in my closet - hoping that it would help me make a more sensible real time purchase.  Some of my bags and shoes back home need serious attention after months of use.  Ah, I need a high quality mink lotion for those leather candies at home - then I came across a shop that sells premium leather care products from France.  I was there to buy mink lotion, but I ended up purchasing a couple of items more for my leather restore project home edition.  Later I would learn that the products I bought are rarely sold in boutiques or department stores in Asia.  For its complete product line-up, one has to buy online from EU - and the biggest distributor in EU does not ship products to the Philippines. 


A few days went by and I was home once again.  Day 1 post vacation, I spent hours of web research - leather, leather types, leather care, etc. Then I started working on the most 'needy' pieces in my closet.  If I am to offer leather cleaning and restoration service to friends, then I have to begin with my shoes and bags.  I set-up an interim work space in our balcony, and I was happy with the result of my first attempt on cleaning and restoration.  

In a few weeks' time, I will be traveling for professional training.  I found an organization in Southeast Asia that offers a trade course, specializing in handbag cleaning and restoration. Wish me luck!  

Gucci Canvas Tote - the leather trim was already dull due to wear and tear.  I used to send this baby to a Manila-based bag spa, but the leather treatment was sub par.  I cleaned the bag, interior and exterior; applied conditioner to the leather; and meticulously dabbed a renovator cream onto the dull edges of the leather.  I also applied a silicone-free waterproof solution to the this bag.  

Prada Tote Bag - Leather is skin.  This is snapshot of my bag after it was cleaned and conditioned.  This baby is looking forward to more years of use and understated elegance. 

Burberry leather flats - I brought this pair to a Manila-based bag spa, and then to a famous shoe and bag repair chain - but they did not even want to touch its dull leather.  They could only clean, best effort.  What I did was, I cleaned the shoes first - then conditioned the leather with a shea-butter based leather cream.  I carefully applied a renovating cream (in circular motion).  When the solution dried up, I finished it with a spray of a silicone-free water proofing solution.  

No comments:

Post a Comment