Pages

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Catching up on my reading...


Accessible luxury is relative.  To me, it means some quiet time spent reading a book and enjoying a good cup of coffee on the side.  

I  buy books, but sometimes I forgot I ever bought them.  The books would end up stacked on the side table, and piling for months of buying and no reading taking place.  

Recently, a bookstore opened just right across our office, and its signage kinda screaming directly through our windows.  I thought about books again, and that feeling of looking forward to read, enjoy, and finish at least one book in two weeks.  It does not sound realistic for typical people working in tech, so there goes my excuse.  

I visit the book store almost every other day.  I just love being surrounded by real books.  I hope books won't go extinct since we have tons of e-books nowadays.  I want books that are easy to read (I need to preserve my eyesight); with entertaining, yet sensible content.

These are my latest readings - books that I read from cover to cover.  I do not write synopsis or summary, as there is a lot in the web through Google.  I'm just sharing why these books are worth reading.  

1 - 3  Kevin Kwan's Crazy Rich Asian, China Rich Girlfriend, Rich People Problems

Kevin Kwan's writing style all throughout the series is entertaining - it's like chatting with a cousin overseas about family (over good coffee, of course). The series keeps a satiric tone when going for the larger than life display of old and new money; and balances it with just the right touch of family drama and introspects. It describes several aspects of a modern Asian family, one of which is the co-existence of traditional and "westernized" - all in a light setting that can make the readers laugh and not burdened by drama.  



4  Sophia Amuroso's #GIRLBOSS - from the school of hard knocks. Very honest.  Sophia is the founder and owner of Nasty Gal Vintage - a fashion paradise for stylish ladies who are mindful not to break the bank.  This book narrates Sophia's and Nasty Gal's humble beginning.  It can be inspiring for people who are realizing great ideas and figuring out how to make it fly (succeed); also perfect for those who need a little nudge to going-back-to-your-center kind of phase. It can figuratively kick butts of those who are being too complacent in life.  



No comments:

Post a Comment