Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Island SPA @ Island Cove offers ELES


To those who couldn't resist a dash of colorful nail polish, this one's worth looking into. 

Island SPA @ Island Cove has recently introduced the Australian cosmetics brand - ELES. 



ELES was created under the premier skin care brand Pevonia Botanica.  Both ELES and Pevonia offer an impressive line up of cosmetics and skin care products for the more discerning market.  Island SPA highlights ELES' Masquerade Collection of nail polish. 

Before ELES:  I would usually put color on my toenails - alternating two weeks with colored polish, two weeks without. When I applied a bright or dark hue, I noticed some yellowish stains on my nails after the polish was removed. 

Though I do not have any authoritative information about cosmetics, I tend to do some research over the Web.  There are seemingly endless reviews about the harmful effects of these ingredients which may be found in nail polish:  *formaldehyde, **dibutyl phthalate (DBP), and ***toluene.  It cannot be no-nail-polish-at-all for me, so I started looking for alternatives.  ELES is one of the better brands that made a public declaration about their non-usage of the said ingredients.  When Island SPA offered ELES, I did not hesitate to give it a try. 

My take: My toenails appeared healthy after the polish was removed (Baroque Bronze).  So I went on with the second trial (Nude Contessa).  After two trials, I don't have any intention to go back to the old brand.  It's tempting to apply another lovely color this weekend, but I'm mindful about giving my toenails at least a 'two-week rest' from nail polish. Moderation won't hurt.  :)





-------------------------------------------------------


Book an appointment today. 
Island Spa is open daily from 10AM to 10PM; cutoff for receiving is at 9PM.  For inquiries and booking, you may dial these numbers:  +63 46 434 09 88, +63 46 434 77 78, +63 917 505 62 80.  You may also visit their website – http://www.islandcovephil.com/activities/rejuvenate/

Getting there
From Manila (private vehicle) :  Take Manila – Cavite Expressway (CAVITEX).  End of expressway, make a U-turn to Covelandia Road.  Island Cove is about 15min-drive from Mall of Asia, light traffic.
From Manila (public transport) :  From Baclaran, board a bus going to Cavite City or Naic/Maragondon taking the Island Cove route.
From Alabang (public transport) :  From Zapote, board a mini-bus or jeepney going to Cavite City or Tanza/Naic/Salinas taking the Island Cove route.

 
-------------------------------------------------------

Formaldehyde* - A highly toxic substance, regardless of method of intake. - Wikipedia
Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)** - used in nail polish as solvent for dye and plasticizers to prevent brittleness.  The European Union classifies DBP as an endocrine disruptor.  - David Suzuki Foundation
Toluene*** - this ingredient is widely-used as solvent. It has no proven carcinogenic effect but prolonged exposure to toluene may trigger conditions like nausea, drunken-type action, and color vision loss. - Wikipedia

-------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer:  I do not work for Island SPA, Island Cove, ELES, Pevonia Botanica, or any of their trade partners. This is a personal write-up.  I do not claim any authoritative information about cosmetics, its formulation and/or usage. 


No comments:

Post a Comment